Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version

ulefone Official Forum

Search
Author: dnp

[Discussion] Adware/Malware

Close [Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Intermediate Member

Credits

Thanksgiving Day

Post time 2016-10-10 23:52:26 | Show all posts
Yes, their ignorance reminds me Xiaomi:-(
@mdr : Not a word from Ulefone, I hope they'll provede malware-free ROM soon, we have to wait, or wait for custom ROMs.
I've downloaded the ROM from needrom without problems flashing according to description on needrom works (I've selected Firmware upgrade in SPFlashTool, not sure, maybe it also works with Download only?). You need to install "flashing" drivers in advance, for Win 7 and Win 8 it can be found on Ulefone download site, Win 10 drivers was removed from their site (there was just link and the page was deleted, OMG), but I can provide it, if needed (found them on internet, don't know where anymore).
As timar wrote, rooting and removing malware is also easy.

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits

Thanksgiving Dayulefone MetalGiveaway Participantsulefone Fan from CroatiaHappy HalloweenUpdate Beta team1K Forum MembersForum Star

Post time 2016-10-11 01:09:08 | Show all posts
Edited by zgfg at 2016-10-11 06:57

I've just rechecked, downloading from NeedROM works fine (little slow, but Ok). Also, in Comment #11, there was a link to Russlan's Google Drive with the (same thing) "Ulefone Metal NO VIRUS 20160728.7z"

Btw, in Comment #16, I've described how to PERMANENTLY disable unwanted Search Service and Opera Mobile Store by flashing TWRP and Rooting and then by Quarantine or Titanium Backup apps (from Google Play)

Both for rooting or installing ROM, you need to flash by SP Flash Tool. Russlan's ROM is just the official Jul-28 with removed Search Service and Opera Mobile Store. If you ROOT the phone and freeze those two apps by Quarantine or Titanium you get the SAME EFFECT - frozen apps/services CANNOT RUN until you unfreeze them, hence they are 'dead'.

The only advantage of flashing ROM is to clean-up everything else that might went wrong. At the end, install an antivirus program as well (you may get new malware by your own installations of suspicious apps). And if you root the phone, you can install AdAware.

Best option will be:
- Flash the clean ROM
- Flash TWRP and install SuperSU to Root
- install anti-virus and AdAware

Also, if you root the phone you can enhance audio by Viper4Android and you can tweak phone by Xposed (see separate HowTop threads) - e.g., you can find Xposed modules to improve battery consumption!!  

Remark:
Russlan adviced me that NeedROM Aug-25 (also, not an official one) should be better than his ROM, but without further details (I didn't try)

PS:
I agree that at the first place, Ulefone must have never flashed phones with malwares in the ROM, and I hope they will officially provide a clean ROM with battery enhancements as well. But many users perpetually complain about this malware in several threads on the Forum, although tips to get rid off were provided (by users!) long ago.

I know that flashing is not an option for average Joe user, but that is a common case for 'unknown' brands. Pay less and you must also expect less. But if hardware is Ok and if there is a community with tools and instructions how to make software better, you can end up with very good phone for less money + do-it-yourself hobby.

Otherwise, better buy an expensive brand, well tested models and with excellent official support (a reason why Ulefone and other similar brands publish source code and seek for open-source developers to develop or port custom ROMs). Support makes a big difference in the overall cost - cheap prices cannot include a lot of upgrades (and their testing). Instead, they invest in new and new models and their marketing ;(

---
Real world experience:
In the last two years I bought tablet and six smartphones (different brands from China) in the range $ 120-200, all were best-buys at the time of purchasing. Five are still in every day use. I 'play' with, supply family and move to the next

Of  the six, only four ever received any upgrade (not that the others were so perfect that did not need), one even keeps receiving regular upgrades (vow). But for three there is/was a strong community, with independent developers providing (better!) custom ROMs.

Btw, one was selling as supporting OTG, but it never worked. Eventuallly, people discovered it was a hardware problem - MTK chipset did support OTG but OEM 'forgot' to wire power to the micro USB (OTG needs to charge the connected USB stick) . By that time, model was no more selling, that vendor had three new models already

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Day1K Forum MembersGiveaway Participants

Post time 2016-10-11 12:55:38 | Show all posts
zgfg replied at 2016-10-11 01:09
I've just rechecked, downloading from NeedROM works fine (little slow, but Ok).
Also, in Comment #11 ...

PS is a great comment ....... but advertising ulefone indicates different things !!!

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Day

Post time 2016-10-12 18:46:42 | Show all posts
zgfg replied at 2016-10-11 01:09
I've just rechecked, downloading from NeedROM works fine (little slow, but Ok). Also, in Comment #11 ...

Hi there! I'm facing the same issue of malware auto-installing on my new Ulefone Metal. I reflashed the official ROM found on Ulefone website, but still the same issue. Can you provide a link to the new ROM? Thank you a million!

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Day

Post time 2016-10-12 18:53:16 | Show all posts
Ruslan replied at 2016-9-28 17:05
My work.
Official firmware without the virus.
Add link work by done 100%

Hello ! I have a new Ulefone Metal phone and it's infected (applications auto install and I've noticed under security/settings, that "install from unknown sources" is always on). I flashed the official rom from Ulefone website, but it did not solve the issue (20160728). Can you provide a link to the updated rom you're referring to? Thank you so much!!!

Threads

Credits

Intermediate Member

Credits

Thanksgiving Day

Post time 2016-10-12 19:33:44 | Show all posts
ROM without malware can be found on needrom (free registration needed), this is official ROM cleaned by ruslan.

http://www.needrom.com/download/ulefone-metal/

Problem with malware and unwanted apps affects only official ROMs from Ulefone site, as the malware is built directly into ROM by Ulefone developers.
For now, hopefully they will issue also ROM without malware in future.

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits

Thanksgiving Dayulefone MetalGiveaway Participantsulefone Fan from CroatiaHappy HalloweenUpdate Beta team1K Forum MembersForum Star

Post time 2016-10-12 19:34:23 | Show all posts
bxxx replied at 2016-10-12 11:53
Hello ! I have a new Ulefone Metal phone and it's infected (applications auto install and I've not ...

@bxxx:
20160728 is the one and only ROM published by Ulefone, the same originally on the phone and downloadable from the Software tab, There is no use of reflashing the same ROM.

Links you are looking for you can find by reading earlier posts in this thread:
Comment 11: link to Russlan's fix, original ROM 20160728, just removed Search Service and Opera Mobile Store services - alleged malwares.
Comment 31, link to NeedROM with three ROMs there, original Ulefone's 20160728, someone's 20160825 and 20160912 (to be that Russlan's one).

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Day

Post time 2016-10-12 19:40:37 | Show all posts
zgfg replied at 2016-10-12 19:34
@bxxx:
20160728 is the one and only ROM published by Ulefone, the same originally on the phone and  ...

thanks! will give a try to all this! hopefully should solve the malware issue

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Day

Post time 2016-10-13 14:50:34 | Show all posts
zgfg replied at 2016-10-12 19:34
@bxxx:
20160728 is the one and only ROM published by Ulefone, the same originally on the phone and  ...

I did reflash and so far, so good. Thanks for the hints and thanks for the guys who put the rom online. I'm super unhappy with ulefone now! Great phone, but what about an infected stock rom!!!! Unbelievable!

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits

Thanksgiving DayHappy Halloweenulefone MetalGiveaway Participantsulefone Fan from RussiaUpdate Beta team1K Forum Members

Post time 2016-10-14 02:18:02 | Show all posts
Edited by Alexandr82 at 2016-10-13 21:19

IMG-20161013-WA0000.jpg
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list