Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version

ulefone Official Forum

Search
Author: zgfg

[Discussion] No help and not much care for the Forum

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Day

Post time 2016-11-15 20:45:27 | Show all posts
https://plus.google.com/communities/101042871463456334581

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Dayulefone Metalulefone Fan from Portugal

Post time 2016-11-15 22:24:58 | Show all posts
It's sad, but unfortunately it seems that the support is a bit overlooked.

It was nice if we could have Android updates and solutions for some problems.

But nowadays, the speed with which companies launch new products is fast. So support for older products ends up too fast.

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Dayulefone Metalulefone Fan from Portugal1K Forum Members

Post time 2016-11-15 23:57:59 | Show all posts
mordecai replied at 2016-11-15 22:24

It was nice if we could  ...

"Older products"?
If i'm not wrong, this phone was launched this summer.

To be honest, i was already expecting some lack of support. That was why i bought a phone in this price range. This way i can change phone every year.

But in any moment i thought i was buying a phone with malware in the original ROM, and that it would take most of the product lifetime to date to Ulefone provide an OTA to solve this giant mess...

This was my first Ulefone and will probably be the last.

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits

Thanksgiving Dayulefone MetalGiveaway Participantsulefone Fan from CroatiaHappy HalloweenUpdate Beta team1K Forum MembersForum Star

Author| Post time 2016-11-16 00:45:02 | Show all posts
Edited by zgfg at 2016-11-15 17:59
mordecai replied at 2016-11-15 15:24

It was nice if we could  ...

>> So support for older products ends up too fast

But the brand remains, with the public opinion developed based on quality of the previous phones, and on the customer support provided to them. In our country we have a pretty strong unofficial forum about 'Chinese' phones, and you almost risk ideological war if you mention brands there like Elephone, Ulefone, UMI, Balckview, etc. It's a common opinion (on that forum,) that one must only consider HTC, Lenovo/ZUK, Xiaomi and Meizu, plus LETv and ZTE, and in the past it was also Jiayu.

For everything else they say (and they are probably right, looking into the number of units sold) that for those brands (Elephone, Ulefone, etc..) average Chinese people have never heard of, hence why should somebody save 5-10 US on such a brand, when for little more he can buy Xiaomi or Meizu, the brands with good reputation.

Indeed, Xiaomi has very strong customer support, they e.g. roll-out development OS releases every week. Meizu has very well managed European forum (not official but IMO subsidized by Meizu), and the paid moderators do care to help and timely answer to the users.

To the other side, by my own experience Elephone forum was total and un-managed chaos, even worse than Ulefone's (Elephone moderators, if they ever show up, use Google translators to answer), while UMI's forum and support is really somewhat better. You have also public knowledge that e.g. GPS does not work on Ulefone Future, that Elephone P6000 was advertised with OTG and gyro but came without, that for certain UMI model (?) capacity printed on the battery was substantially smaller than in the official phone specs.

That really makes bad opinion. Here and there particular model goes well (IMO, Metal is really a good phone - but we'll see how display, buttons, speaker, USB connector, etc. will work after a year) and the only chance for such brands is to pre-sell new and new models (they don't produce them, they are OEMs but not ODMs, and therefore in some cases they 'don't know' precise specifications before they get them in their hands and start pre-selling them).

They go every month with one or two new models (like Elephone) to the market, and once the hype is over, just two or three months later, they stop producing them (don't even exect any software upgrades), instead, they advertise and pre-sell new model(s). They attract (inexperienced) customers by lower pre-sell prices, but old customers never come back to buy the same brand again.

To the other side, I know people who buy a new Xiaomi every 4 or 6 months (and they can still make a good money on second-hand selling their previous models). Although, comparing the price per official specifications between a particular Xiaomi (or Meizu) and Ulefone (or Elephone), Xiaomi will look like 30% overprized. However, similarly comparing Xiaomi against One Plus, One Plus looks like 50% overpriced, while Samsung still looks 40% overprized compared to One Plus

All together, you can be a cheap brand with minimal margin in the price per unit, or you can develop a strong brand where people will not bother to pay a double price, expecting that phone will be good, and that it will last together with the support.

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Dayulefone Metalulefone Fan from Portugal1K Forum Members

Post time 2016-11-16 01:02:59 | Show all posts
zgfg replied at 2016-11-16 00:45
>> So support for older products ends up too fast

But the brand remains, with the public opinion d ...

Man... Great speech!

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits

Thanksgiving DayHappy Halloweenulefone Metalulefone Fan from Sweden1K Forum Members

Post time 2016-11-16 15:36:55 | Show all posts
You get what You pay for, no more no less...
Cheap phone, very few employed 'support' people, mid sized dev. department mailny focusing on new items.

So support here is and probably will be on end user basis and development on enthusiast basis only.
Still, it's too bad that there is no moderation of spam.
----
..//Jocke.Sve

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Dayulefone Metalulefone Fan from Portugal

Post time 2016-11-16 17:24:28 | Show all posts
Edited by mordecai at 2016-11-16 09:38

Before having the ulefone metal, I had a Doogee, which had some updates for 3 or 4 months, and as soon as the company released other products, they immediately stopped the updates. I confess I was expecting that with the ulefone it would be different

They focus on developing new products and forget the "old ones". Which I think is a wrong strategy. Good support brings good reputation and more sales.
I hope they solve the spam problem. I like the forum.

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits

Thanksgiving Dayulefone MetalGiveaway Participantsulefone Fan from CroatiaHappy HalloweenUpdate Beta team1K Forum MembersForum Star

Author| Post time 2016-11-16 18:38:04 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Do I see it correctly, it seems that spammers were just removed

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits

Thanksgiving DayHappy Halloweenulefone Metalulefone Fan from Sweden1K Forum Members

Post time 2016-11-16 20:26:50 | Show all posts
mordecai replied at 2016-11-16 10:24
Before having the ulefone metal, I had a Doogee, which had some updates for 3 or 4 months, and as so ...

In the early days of smartphones I imported frequently different cheapish China-phones like ZTE, Huawei, some cheap LG's and THL's (even few  Onda and Techlast tablets) and lately of couple of different ulefones.
Story is the same when it come to low budget phones and tablets: Support isn't included or at in best case it's minimal. Support costs big dollars to companies.

IMHO it's always a gamble to buy these and take a risk/chance.
Personally I don't have any big issues left after update and few tweaks.

----
..//Jocke.Sve

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Day1K Forum Members

Post time 2016-11-17 01:32:10 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Why should they care? Just read the link https://www.neowin.net/news/budget-android-phones-found-to-be-sending-personally-identifiable-data-to-china-regularly On other site I found that packets responsible are com.adups.fota.sysoper and com.adups.fota, both present on Ulefone Metal. Understand that they don't compile the ROMs themselves, so they don't give a f*ck.
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list