Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version

ulefone Official Forum

Search
Author: zgfg

[Discussion] No help and not much care for the Forum

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Day1K Forum Members

Post time 2016-11-17 01:33:24 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Ohhh, just FYI: I removed both pockets and have no issues

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Dayulefone Metalulefone Fan from Portugal1K Forum Members

Post time 2016-11-17 02:49:34 | Show all posts
Edited by jfcoelho at 2016-11-17 02:51
bkc replied at 2016-11-17 01:32
Why should they care? Just read the link https://www.neowin.net/news/budget-android-phones-found-to- ...

Yeah, this is really a crap.
I had already heard about this.

Maybe you could post an "how to" about removing those packets, possible side effects or issues, and for how long are you running the OS without those packets.

Probably is not related and is just a bug, but sometimes my phone don't go into deep sleep and keeps accessing WiFi for long periods, i haven't figured out yet what app or packet is causing that... I have to restart it so it enters deep sleep again while on idle.

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits

Thanksgiving Dayulefone MetalGiveaway Participantsulefone Fan from CroatiaHappy HalloweenUpdate Beta team1K Forum MembersForum Star

Author| Post time 2016-11-17 03:49:12 | Show all posts
Edited by zgfg at 2016-11-16 21:59
jfcoelho replied at 2016-11-16 19:49
Yeah, this is really a crap.
I had already heard about this.

As the article and name says, FOTA stays for Firmware Over The Air. If you remove them, OTA upgrades won't work (you can always flash...).

To remove any system package, you need a rooted phone. You can use Titanium Backup to uninstall the given packages, see screenshots from Titanium Quarantine and ES Explorer (system/app folder)

Btw, Wireless Update cannot be frozen, upon rebooting it is always up'n'running again (freezing is softer measure, frozen app remains in the ROM, but prevented to start). Apparently, it can be only uninstalled, through Titanium or from TWRP.

FOTA

FOTA

Wireless Update

Wireless Update

System/app

System/app

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits

Thanksgiving Dayulefone MetalGiveaway Participantsulefone Fan from CroatiaHappy HalloweenUpdate Beta team1K Forum MembersForum Star

Author| Post time 2016-11-17 06:11:25 | Show all posts
Edited by zgfg at 2016-11-16 23:20
zgfg replied at 2016-11-16 20:49
As the article and name says, FOTA stays for Firmware Over The Air. If you remove them, OTA upgrade ...
Both adups.fota packages backed-up (if needed, I could restore them) and then uninstalled, from Titanium. Phone works fine (rebooted and so far everything is OK)

However, there is no more Wireless Update in Settings / About.

Threads

Credits

Credits

Post time 2016-11-17 14:11:19 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
There is no wireless update, there is no data sending over to the company. Let's be honest - I don't think were gonna see another update for our phone. This is an educated guess, based on the support we received till now.

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Dayulefone Metalulefone Fan from Portugal1K Forum Members

Post time 2016-11-17 19:58:22 | Show all posts
I wonder if Ulefone will take any action about this...
Like @bkc, i'm reluctant about that and i also believe that the we have already seen the last update for Ulefone Metal.

One thing is having a fully functional and clean system without updates...
But having a system running malicious apps gathering personal/sensible user information and wasting resources is absurd.

Threads

Credits

Credits

Post time 2016-11-17 22:41:09 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Facing the truth - we, here, on this very forum are just a tiny faction of people who bought this phone and want to know what is under the hood. In other words, Ulefone will not do anything, just because we are THE 1%, minority. I don't see them taking action against Adups, they are too big for Ulefone to take on them.

Threads

Credits

Credits

Post time 2016-11-17 22:42:55 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
But would love to see proven wrong...

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits

Author| Post time 2016-11-17 23:43:22 | Show all posts

cou

Edited by zgfg at 2016-11-18 10:55
bkc replied at 2016-11-17 15:41
Facing the truth - we, here, on this very forum are just a tiny faction of people who bought this ph ...

As officially described by AdUps, they are collecting info "to help Chinese phone manufacturers to monitor user behavior":
http://thehackernews.com/2016/11/hacking-android-smartphone.html

Maybe it's written in the contract for AdUps services (hence Chinese manufacturers know about), and maybe even that 'somebody' else is behind, and they are obliged to use it (at least for Chinese market).

We'll see what Google means by "working with all affected parties to patch the issue", but they also agreed on compromise regarding Google Search for China, couple of years ago. Anyway, we cannot expect an isolated action by Ulefone itself (much bigger Chinese brands are also involved).

Btw, It's also well known that Apple's iPhones and iPads also collect similar sensitive personal data and send them to Apple/US. But that's different since it's different Big Brother?!

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Day

Post time 2016-11-18 21:10:10 | Show all posts
Edited by tubista at 2016-11-18 21:15

ottimo grazie ragazzi
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list