Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version

ulefone Official Forum

Search
Author: zgfg

[Discussion] No help and not much care for the Forum

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Intermediate Member

Credits

Thanksgiving DayHappy Halloweenulefone Metalulefone Fan from Brazil

Post time 2016-11-18 21:20:03 | Show all posts

I just did like zgfg wrote above.

Backup and uninstall apps FotaProvider/Wireless Update using Titanium Backup and I had to remove manually these files (root required):

/system/app/FWUpgradeProvider.apk (com.adups.fota.sysoper)
/system/app/FWUpgrade.apk (com.adups.fota)

Threads

Credits

Intermediate Member

Credits

Thanksgiving Day

Post time 2016-11-19 04:12:57 | Show all posts
Sad, if there's spyware in ROM (I thought nothing worse than the malware in previous ROM will happen), it would be nice to have official response from Ulefone.
Debloater can also disable (not remove) the packages on non-rooted phones.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software/debloater-remove-carrier-bloat-t2998294
http://android.wonderhowto.com/how-to/test-for-adups-spyware-your-phone-disable-0175034/

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Day

Post time 2016-11-19 07:34:24 | Show all posts
kejlycz replied at 2016-11-19 04:12
Sad, if there's spyware in ROM (I thought nothing worse than the malware in previous ROM will happen ...

thanks my friend!!

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Day

Post time 2016-11-19 19:12:43 | Show all posts
@staff, @Miles, @Jackie, @Caroline: Now that it's confirmed the embedded adups spyware in the official Ulefone Metal ROM, any notice about when is planned to released the new updated ROM without spyware? Thanks.

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving DayHappy Halloween

Post time 2016-11-20 16:26:02 | Show all posts
Wait, so first malware in the rom so we get an updated rom (thanks by the way) with spyware installed? Is this the case for all Chinese manufactures? Or is it just Ulefone that want to drive customers away? Thinking I should just bury this phone in the back garden and look elsewhere..

Comments

Go above in the thread to find link to an article and/or Google for fota adups, it's not specific for Ulefone, and btw Apple/Americans do the same, just a Big Brother of diff nationality behind.  Post time 2016-11-20 16:39

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving DayHappy Halloween

Post time 2016-11-20 18:20:37 | Show all posts

Right, I see, my apologies. Its just with the malware and this... It makes you panic a bit. Thanks..

Threads

Credits

Intermediate Member

Credits

ulefone Metalulefone Fan from CzechThanksgiving Day

Post time 2016-11-22 00:29:18 | Show all posts
I really hope there's going to be more support etc. I've just bought Metal (not received it yet), mostly because I saw that they update their phones (thanks to blog), but after reading this (no support, malware), it kinda makes me worried.

Comments

adups.fota is not about malware (please read the posts above, and external links), malware issues were resolved by Oct 24 ROM upgrade  Post time 2016-11-22 02:07

Threads

Credits

Intermediate Member

Credits

Post time 2016-11-22 02:56:00 | Show all posts
czjohns replied at 2016-11-21 17:29
I really hope there's going to be more support etc. I've just bought Metal (not received it yet), mo ...

Why was it there in the first place? And whatever that is, it's something that's not supposed to be there.
I have a question through, is there any Terms document that states sending user data somewhere to China?
I'm completely aware of Google and other companies doing that, but if it's not stated anywhere, I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be there.

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits

Thanksgiving Dayulefone MetalGiveaway Participantsulefone Fan from CroatiaHappy HalloweenUpdate Beta team1K Forum MembersForum Star

Author| Post time 2016-12-19 22:02:56 | Show all posts
Edited by zgfg at 2016-12-19 15:22

Now is there is over a month since Nov17 OTA upgrade that was shortly thereafter withdrawn by Ulefone - however, many users have remained with the screwed touch-screen - Ulefone wrote they will look into, but there was no further help or even feedback about.

High battery drain is still present in Oct24 and the withdrawn Nov17 firmwares, flip-cover case was apparently solved but in the withdrawn Nov17 upgrade (with the screwed up touch-screen driver).

As commented by Ulefone moderators, Adups.FOTA issue (background uploading of user's sensitive info to the Chinese Adups servers) does not apply to Adups.FOTA based Ulefone's OTA service.

Spammers are slowly attaccking again - two as of yesterday, not yet removed by the moderators.

Good point is that Forum community has grown-up, if Ulefone does not help, there are users supporting the others.
And cooked firmwares are coming now: Eragon 1.0 and even CM 14.1

Threads

Credits

Intermediate Member

Credits

Post time 2016-12-20 00:35:16 | Show all posts
zgfg replied at 2016-12-19 15:02
Now is there is over a month since Nov17 OTA upgrade that was shortly thereafter withdrawn by Ulefon ...

Forum community has grown, but lack of their communication isn't a good advert for Ulefone.

I've never installed custom ROMs, but seems like I'll have too. Ulefone is great phone, but those software issues can't be ignored.
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list