Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version

ulefone Official Forum

Search
Author: zgfg

[Consulting] HowTo: Flashing, TWRP, Root, Xposed, BusyBox and Viper4Android

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving DayHappy Halloween

Post time 2016-11-4 05:15:39 | Show all posts
Thanks for the help Unfortunately I was still unable to login, also with root disabled.. Sadly even though I enabled root before a reset it still managed to soft-brick the phone.. I'm back up and running on original firmware for now. I miss viper already.. Dam you Snapchat!!

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits

Thanksgiving Dayulefone MetalGiveaway Participantsulefone Fan from CroatiaHappy HalloweenUpdate Beta team1K Forum MembersForum Star

Author| Post time 2016-11-17 19:36:04 | Show all posts
Over time (up to some changes I made?), I've realized that AdAway does no more auto-update hosts file - no more AdAway notifications on e.g. reboot. Although, everything looks configured correctly:
- Settings / Security / Autostart Mnmgt: AdAway enabled to autostart
- AdAway Prefernces: Automatic Updates and Check for Updates Daily enabled

It's not a big deal, I can manually open AdAway from day to day and force updating of the hosts file - I've checked upon (e.g. by ES File Explorer), and etc/hosts file is indeed properly customized and updated.

Actually, there is no need to run AdAway in the background, it's only important to periodically update the hosts file - to 'resolve' the list of known adware sites into the localhost IP address, making them inaccessible, like:
127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net

Alternatively, one can also periodically update the list from MoaAB:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1916098
use TWRP to Install their ZIP file (it will merge into the hosts file).

Btw, original plain hosts file (no malware sites merged into) is only few hundred bytes, with AdAway it becomes 2 MB, while with MoaAB it raises to 4 MB. AdAway covers about 95% of adware sites, while MoaAB claims to cover up to 99% of adware/malware sites.

---

If you want to block a potential backdore sending your sensitive personal data to Chinese agency:
http://thehackernews.com/2016/11/hacking-android-smartphone.html

you should install Titanium Backup (from Google Play), run, give it root access, open Backup/Restore tab and search for "adups". Two processes/apps will be found, Wireless Update and FOTA Provider. Backup both (in case, you could restore them) and Uninstall them.

Beware that you're no more going to have Wireless Update under Settings /About, and your phone will not receive OTA updates (you can restore the two services above, or you can flash the new firmware if/when it comes).

See also posts 19-24 under:
http://forum.ulefone.com/thread-277-1-1.html

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits

Thanksgiving Dayulefone MetalGiveaway Participantsulefone Fan from CroatiaHappy HalloweenUpdate Beta team1K Forum MembersForum Star

Author| Post time 2016-12-20 18:41:41 | Show all posts
Edited by zgfg at 2016-12-20 11:45

Same successfully applied also to Eragon v1.0 ROM:
http://forum.ulefone.com/thread-649-1-1.html

1) Eragon ROM installs via TWRP (it works fine with GizBeat TWRP as above) and ROM comes with preinstalled root/SuperSU. SuperSU will automatically update (currently, latest is v2.79) via Google Play.

SuperSU is integrated to Settings, together with "AdBlock" (AdAway) and Reboot to Recovery option. Open "AdBlock" to configure and enable AdAway.

2) Eragon comes also with preinstalled BusyBox and Viper4Android. Since V4A is an old version, you can uninstall it (through Titanium Backup, as available from Google Play), and install the latest V4A v2.5.0.5 (APK available on my G-Drive, link in the previous posts above).

Btw, Eragon comes also with the preinstalled Dolby/ATMOS (IMO, V4A provides more powerful and more versatile digital audio processing).

3) XPosed (by help of grorkmod) and GravityBox [MM] can be installed just as to the stock ROMs (see previous posts).

Btw, I've updated my G-Drive (link in the previous posts above) with all the latest, up-to-date ZIPs and APKs.

FYI, I've installed Eragon a 'dirty' way (wiped Cache and Dalwik Cache in TWRP but not Data partition). Upon first time booting I had my Google account and almost all my apps up'n'running (as from the stock ROM I was upgrading from).

E.g., I've lost only ZenUI launcher (Eragon comes with Nova launcher), I've installed it again from Google Play and restored its data via Titanium (don't forget to make backup in Titanium of important apps and configurations before changing the ROM) - and my old ZenUI home screen was restored.

XPosed was also lost with Eragon - just installed Xposed and grorkmod ZIPs again TWRP, rebooted, and Xposed with previously configured modules (GravityBox and YouTube Background Playback) worked again.

Threads

Credits

Intermediate Member

Credits

Thanksgiving Day

Post time 2016-12-20 19:32:02 | Show all posts
zgfg replied at 2016-12-20 18:41
Same successfully applied also to Eragon v1.0 ROM:
http://forum.ulefone.com/thread-649-1-1.html

Can you switch 2G 3G 4G from gravitybox roll down menu? It's not working for me from 20161117 FW.

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits

Author| Post time 2016-12-21 02:01:40 | Show all posts
Edited by zgfg at 2016-12-21 00:06
janek69 replied at 2016-12-20 12:32
Can you switch 2G 3G 4G from gravitybox roll down menu? It's not working for me from 20161117 FW.

Gravity Box Status Bar control for 2G/3G/4G is not in sync (does not work) on Eragon v1.0.
Btw, Eragon ROM is based on Oct24, it probably oesn't work for Oct24 either. I've had Sep12 and Oct19 but I didn't try GravityBox Status Bar controls there.

Other GravityBox Status Bar controls work fine (Airplane, Data connection, Do not disturb, Location, GPS, Torch...).

Btw, one more thing does not work - and it worked fine on Oct19:

Eragon has no Music 6.0 like stock, but certain Music 2.0 and for that Music app in Eragon, GravityBox, Media Tweaks,  Volume Keys Skip Track does not work. I've installed Pi Music Player and GravityBox, Volume Keys Skip Track works fine again.

Threads

Credits

Intermediate Member

Credits

Thanksgiving DayHappy Halloweenulefone Metalulefone Fan from Brazil

Post time 2016-12-21 02:36:17 | Show all posts
zgfg replied at 2016-12-20 15:01
Gravity Box Status Bar control for 2G/3G/4G is not in sync (does not work) on Eragon v1.0.
Btw, Era ...

I was using "Pocket Skip Track" app in my previous smartphone to long press volume to skip tracks. Works good...

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits

Author| Post time 2017-1-1 18:43:39 | Show all posts
Edited by zgfg at 2017-1-3 00:44

Update on how to install SuperSU (root), AdAway and Viper4Android to M.A.D Android 7.1.1 (more generally, to Nougats). For installing MAD Nougats to Ulefone Metal, see:
https://forum.xda-developers.com ... fone-metal-t3521714

0) TWRP: You need to have stock Recovery replaced by TWRP, on how-to flash custom Recovery, see the post #2 in this topic. To avoid issues with the capitalization of letters in the "Metal" name, you need to flash Jonny"s TWRP (instead of e.g. NeedROM TWRP):
https://forum.xda-developers.com ... fone-metal-t3490779

If you already have another TWRP flashed, go to your TWRP, and Install TWRP-3.0.2-0-Metal.zip by Jonny.

1) M.A.D: Reboot to Jonny's TWRP, Wipe  / Advance Wipe Cache, Dalwik Cache, System and Data (you will loose all your apps installed in your previous firmware and their corresponding settings - you could Backup and later Restore many of them through Titanium Backup), and then Install (ATM latest M.A.D Nougat v3) aosp_7.1.1_metal_20161230.zip

Before wiping and installing, you could Backup complete your previous firmware (System, Data) - in case you would like to Restore and switch back from M.A.D.

2) GAPPS: Nougat M.A.D comes without Google Apps, meaning that you won"t be able to install applications or games from Google Play. If you do want Google Play, you must install Open  GAPPS by yourself (ARM64, 7.1, pick/nano/micro/mini/full) from:
HTTP://opengapps.org/

Reboot to TWRP and Install e.g. Open GAPPs Pico: open_gapps-arm64-7.1-nano-20161230  (Google Play and Search included, but Google Maps, Drive, etc. not - you will simply install further Google apps from Google Play). Reboot to System and setup your Google Account (Settings, Account).

3) SuperSU: Boot into TWRP and Install SuperSU-v2.79.zip (latest version at the moment). Reboot to System, open SuperSU application, let it update, reboot.

Nougat is now rooted, you can check by installing Root Checker from Google Play.
For easier booting to TWRP, install Reboot from Google Play. Alternatively, you can edit StatusBar to expand it with Reboot/Reboot Recovery option.

4) AdAway: Reboot to TWRP and Install AdAway_systemless_hosts_v2.zip
Reboot to System, install adaway_3.1.2.apk, open AdAway, grant it Root access, update and enable hosts files (and configure it for auto-updating).

Flashing Systemless hosts files through TWRP is necessary for all Nougats, without, AdAway won't have write permissions to apply hosts file changes.

5) V4A: Install BusyBox from Google play, open, grant Root access, Install, reboot and test if OK by Root Checker. Reboot to TWRP and Install ViPER4Android_2.5.0.5_guitardedhero.zip
Reboot to System, observe that by flashing through TWRP, Viper4Android app was installed, open and configure it.

Again, flashing V4A through TWRP is neccessary on Nougats, you cannot just install V4A apk.

To enable convolvers, open Convolvers option in V4A (for Headset, Speakerphone, etc.), and try to Select Impulse Response convolver - V4A will create VIPER4Android/Kernel folder in the main memory (and will complain that folder is empty). Unzip V4A_Kernel_Convolvers.zip, copy all its files into VIPER4Android/Kernel folder, now you can select and enable your convolver as above.

PS: You can boot only once into Jonny's TWRP and Install all the five ZIPs from step 1 till 5 (in that order) in a raw, and only then to boot into M.A.D and continue with setting up your Google account for GAPPS, activating and configuring SU, AdAway, BusyBox and V4A, as described above.
---

All the aforementioned ZIPs (except the M.A.D firmware itself) and APKs are available from my G-Drive
https://drive.google.com/folderv ... Mne5ank2eUpCMjRDYmc

At the moment, Xposed is not available yet for Nougats.

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Day

Post time 2017-1-2 07:54:56 | Show all posts
Edited by z0mg at 2017-1-2 08:38

Thanks for the guide zgfg. Currently attempting to install MAD AOSP on Metal. Fingers crossed it is stable enough for daily use

Comments

Frankly, MAD s not CM (Jonny works on CM). Also, as of yesterday (2017-1-1) CM continues under a new name, LineageOS  Post time 2017-1-2 08:09

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-1-19 08:59:27 | Show all posts
Edited by Егор at 2017-1-19 09:00

Ulefon Металл . Просит код защиты конфиденциальности. Помогите с кодом.

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits

Author| Post time 2017-4-1 23:29:18 | Show all posts
As later discussed by @tuleggi, once you flash TWRP, instal root and Xposed (see instructions above in ths thread), you can install Greenify apk from Google Play.

Although Greenify works as as an standalone application, you can activate it as Xposed module (reboot the phone afterwards) and then you can enable additional features in Greenify to save battery consumption by forcing Doze (deep sleep)
http://forum.ulefone.com/thread-1081-1-1.html
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list