Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version

ulefone Official Forum

Search
View: 834|Reply: 7

[Discussion] Do you miss the Home buttom on your Metal?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Day

Post time 2016-11-8 16:02:03 | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi guys,

Just checking: I'm very pleased with my Metal, but there's one thing I miss and like tot discuss: the Home button. I owned several Android phones, all with home button. Main reason to use the Home button is not to go to the home screen but just to get the phone out of sleep mode, in other words just to turn the phone on.
With the Metal you need to do this with the power button on the right side of the phone but that doesn't work for me: I'm not able to turn on my phone fast.
Now I use the Off screen gestures: double tap does wake up the phone. But it costs me battery life.
So in fact I want the home button back.
How bout other users?

Regards,
Marcel
Single Polls, Total 9 Users voted View Voters

Poll is finished

44.44% (4)
55.56% (5)
Your User group have no permission to vote

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Dayulefone Metal

Post time 2016-11-8 17:25:31 | Show all posts
I have a flip case for my Metal and whenever I open the front, the phone turns on. Very convinient for me.

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits

Thanksgiving DayHappy Halloweenulefone Metalulefone Fan from Sweden1K Forum Members

Post time 2016-11-8 20:00:05 | Show all posts
@stiefel:
Now I use the Off screen gestures: double tap does wake up the phone. But it costs me battery life.

I've been using that feature since day 1.
Do You know if the battery consumption is noticeable? Or just measurable?

Personally I haven't thought of that as a power thief...
And battery time is at least one day normal use, 35-45% battery left at evening.
----
..//Jocke.Sve

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Dayulefone Metalulefone Fan from Portugal1K Forum Members

Post time 2016-11-8 20:27:41 | Show all posts
I am not sure what you want to mean with "Home button".
Do you want to mean a physical home button instead of the capacitive one?
Is it not practical for you to use the power button?

I don't use gestures, i also believe it drains battery.
I use the power button to wake up / light up the screen of my phone, if i want to check the clock for instance, and that works great for me.

My previous phone already had just capacitive buttons in the front bottom, and i never missed the home physical button.

In fact, not that i like, but it looks like the trend is to end even with the capacitive buttons and have only software buttons for "MENU", "HOME" and "BACK" in the screen front bottom, like this:

Login/Register to enlarge

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits

Thanksgiving Dayulefone MetalGiveaway Participantsulefone Fan from CroatiaHappy HalloweenUpdate Beta team1K Forum MembersForum Star

Post time 2016-11-8 21:19:47 | Show all posts
Edited by zgfg at 2016-11-8 14:26

I don't miss Wake functionality on the Home button at all, you can simply use Power button instead (as @jfcoelho also mentioned) - if you're concerned about battery drain on double tap (?), see also a response by @Jocke.Sve

Btw, I'm running Xposed and I've set many more 'smart' tweaks by Gravity Box, and I don't see a difference in the battery consumption.

To save battery when idle, follow tweaks as discussed in the corresponding thread (update Google Play Store & Services to the latest, disable Google History, disable Cloud printing until you need it, use Preferred 3G if you really don't need 4G, switch BT off until you need it, use GPS positioning only). With that, you have consumption of about 0.8% per hour on idle.

I only miss a backlight on the Back/Home/Menu buttons, but that's hardware issue (saving on the bill of material). Missing also Notification LED
And some may miss (not me) Google Now on the Home button - that's kind of a standard on Android 6 devices.

It will be also nice to have native Settings on the Menu button, on the home screen - I've installed ZenUI launcher, it has that plus other advantages like packing 5 icons in the row.

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Dayulefone Metalulefone Fan from Portugal1K Forum Members

Post time 2016-11-8 21:32:04 | Show all posts
@zgfg
"I only miss a backlight on the Back/Home/Menu buttons, but that's hardware issue (saving on the bill of material)."
This is what i also miss the most, especially when i am in non illuminated places
But yes, there's the need to cut cost in things like this to keep the final price down.

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Day

Author| Post time 2016-11-8 23:53:49 | Show all posts
jfcoelho replied at 2016-11-8 20:27
I am not sure what you want to mean with "Home button".
Do you want to mean a physical home button i ...

Yes I mean a physical button, but maybe it's because I got used to it from previous phones.
The Be Touch 2 had one, my iPad and iPhone have one and my previous Samsung had one...so I got used to it

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Day

Author| Post time 2016-11-8 23:58:38 | Show all posts

It's hard to measure the power consumption. I only read it in articles...
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list