Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version

ulefone Official Forum

Search
Author: AndyGB

[Discussion] AndyGB's Clean Ulefone Power ROM

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Day

Post time 2017-1-19 00:10:08 | Show all posts
I used 2016/07/18 (with search service trojan) before.
Now i updated to 2016/09/14 with OTA update; no search service found anymore, but the camera app seems to need phone rights now. So i use open camera app from playstore instead of the default because there is no offical statement from ulefone why the rights for the camera app has changed. By the way u cant even start the default camera app when phone rights are restricted.
So my question is how 2016/12/06 rom behave with the camera rights. The comment
As usual nothing works, again....  not Andy's fault, Ulefone seem to just ehhhh, suck
of marc does not encourage me.

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-1-20 18:00:29 | Show all posts
Ok, thank you for the information.
This means I can simply start it and update it via OTA, instead of flashing andygb's rom.
Afterwards I would deactivate the cam and install an alternative.

PS: Open Camera seems to be a good alternative, thank you for that.

Greetings,
Lars

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-2-9 17:23:24 | Show all posts
Edited by lolzem at 2017-2-9 17:29

Hello guys,
I just received my Power yesterday and made an update to the newest android build.

I installed open camera and everything works fine.
Unfortunately I'm not able to disable the standard browser and the standard camera.

Is this possible without rooting the phone?
I just removed any permissions for these two apps so far, because the browser was swapped against google chrome and the camera wants phone rights which makes it suspicious, as other users mentioned before.

Greetings,
Lars

PS: Furthermore, one of the anti virus apps I tested, which is called "Malwarebytes Antimalware" said, that the wireless ota apk is maybe infected or a PUP. I'm not quite shure about that. I uninstalled "Malwarebytes" and now I'm currently running "CM Security Lite" as I use(d) on other phones, too.

Comments

Search on the Forum and Internet about controversies on FOTA Adups - Chinese service (used by many Chinese brands, incl. Ulefone) for OTA updates.  Post time 2017-2-9 18:49
You can't disable system apps without rooting. But if you install another browser, you can make it as default app for opening URLs.  Post time 2017-2-9 18:44

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-2-10 18:58:11 | Show all posts
Thank you zgfg for your information:

So I don't think that I'm in trouble with the ota function, after reading those threads.
The second thing is nice to know and yes, I just swapped those apps out.
Disabling would have been fine, but this won't work.

I don't want to root the phone, because I play Pokémon Go

Greetings and have a nice weekend!
Lars

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Day

Post time 2017-2-17 00:06:58 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Don't think denying permissions makes any difference, if you access system apps as the developer, show all permissions, its quite scary what the apps have the potential to do. Totally disgusted with Ulefone, this is my 3rd phone + my last, ready for giving up on this one, malware showing up with Malwarebytes + Sophos consistently in OTA Wireless Update app, have a firewall in place just now but still very uneasy with this phone. Have recommended in the past, not anymore.  Linda

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-2-18 00:00:46 | Show all posts
Hi Linda,
thank you for your answer:

But to clearify some things....
The ota app is often declared as PUP (potentially unwanted programm). It is not a virus.
The trojans have been flushed off the newest rom version.

I hope that helped you out a bit.

Greetings and have a wonderfull weekend!

Lars

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Day

Post time 2017-2-25 02:08:32 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Hi Lars  Thanks for replying to my recent post my concern is this is not showing as PUP potentially unwanted program it's showing as malware Andr/AutoIns-A  " Android:Autoins-A is a trojan that comes hidden in malicious programs. Once you install the source (carrier) program, this trojan attempts to gain "root" access (administrator level access) to your computer without your knowledge. Trojans like Android:Autoins-A are difficult to detect because they hide themselves by integrating into the operating system. Once it infects your computer, Android:Autoins-A executes each time your computer boots and attempts to download and install other malicious files. Upon successful execution, it deletes the source program, making it more difficult to detect." This information was taken from a computer site so how this would affect a mobile phone I've no idea but I'm quite sure it shouldn't be there. Hope you have a wonderful weekend too!  Linda

Threads

Credits

Credits

Thanksgiving Day

Post time 2017-5-13 21:02:14 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
http://bgr.com/2016/12/20/adups-spyware-android-phones-security/
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list